The Fourth of July is an exciting time of year. It’s the height of summer, the days are long and hot, and families and friends join together to eat and play. Fireworks are no doubt the highlight of the holiday, and because we provide fire damage cleanup services, we know the importance of keeping your home and family safe and secure.
Nearly 18,500 fires are the result of fireworks per year according to the National Fire Protection Association. Additionally, almost 10,000 people are treated in the emergency room each year for fireworks related injuries. These facts are good reminders to be careful and safe as you celebrate. More information can be found here, http://www.nfpa.org/news-and-research/fire-statistics-and-reports/fire-statistics/fire-causes/fireworks.
Here are some tips to keep your July 4th relaxing and fun:
- Dry conditions are very dangerous when interacting with any fire, let alone fireworks. Be sure you shoot off fireworks away from humans, as well as any dry brush and landscape. Dry bushes close to your home can ignite quickly and cause exterior damage.
- Even sparklers can be dangerous and cause injury. Sparklers burn at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, glass melts at 900 degrees! Always be sure they are held far away from your body and anything flammable. Be sure to watch children closely as they play with them.
- Have water ready to go when lighting of fireworks or using sparklers in the case of injury or fire. Fireworks should also be soaked in water before throwing them away. Every year, garage fires result from fireworks that are not extinguished that are disposed in plastic garbage cans.
- Don’t forget about the animals! Keeping them inside is best.
- Consider safety glasses to prevent eye injury and use precaution by shooting fireworks in the sky, never shoot from a glass or metal container.
If you have questions or need help, don’t hesitate to call us for help.